Monday, March 12, 2012

Snake Farm

Paw-Paw came to visit us yesterday. He and Spencer played this morning while I worked, and then I took the afternoon off and we took a trip to the infamous Snake Farm in New Braunfels. Years ago, I heard a story about that place - that the animals were in bad shape and they even had a gorilla there at one point (not sure whether that's true). Anyway, I always had a negative impression of it until recently when I heard that some friends went there. So on a whim, we took a little Spring Break roadtrip.


Spencer was glad to see that the snakes were in enclosures and not just slithering all around. I guess that makes three of us! I gotta say, even though there were some GIGANTIC snakes there, the ones that gave me the creeps the most were the deadly black mambas (3rd pic below). I didn't like them looking at my boy!

Out back there were lots of animals to see - monkeys, capybaras, warthogs, kookaburras, a zebra, goats, pigs, parrots and many more! I couldn't get Spencer to stand still long enough to get pictures of him with the animals except when he was feeding them, so no exotics in these...


The neatest surprise was a tiny baby lemur holding onto its mama's belly. If you look carefully you can see a tiny black head on the right side, in the middle of that white fuzzy belly:


There was also an ice cream truck out back - so many choices!

And this is what a boy looks like after a big day at the Snake Farm, clutching his souvenir centipede.

2 comments:

The Mitchell Family said...

I had no idea there were animals at the snake farm other than snakes. good to know!

Patty said...

I want a lemur! I never really understood putting the words "snake" and "farm" together.