Monday, June 20, 2011

Ooh La La!

I am hijacking Spencer's blog today to tell you a little story...

I've been to Paris once. It was a very quick work trip - 3 days in December 2006. I was interviewing for a job with my company's Paris office and I was working under the assumption that I would be returning with David in the following weeks to explore whether we would seriously entertain the idea of relocating overseas. I really only had one day to sightsee, so I did not try to pack in all of the "must-do" Paris activities while I was there. Louvre? Check. Chocolate croissants, crepes and delicious coffee? Check. Shopping along the Champs-Elysées? Check. But I did not do the most important thing of all... I didn't go to the Eiffel Tower. I saw the tower of course, but I didn't visit it, or even take a picture of it for that matter. After all, I'd be back in a few weeks with my husband, right?

Well, things didn't go as planned. The exploratory return trip turned into "if you take the job we will fly you and your husband back to look for a place to live." The stars just didn't align for us to move to Paris and ever since I've tried to ignore that nagging resentment about not making the most of my earlier visit. I realize of course that if we had moved to Paris, things would be so different today - namely, we wouldn't have Spencer, so for that I am grateful we stayed in Texas.

Why am I telling you this story today? One of my favorite blogs, Oh Happy Day, is giving away a really cool trip to Paris and I want to throw my hat into the ring. The contest is pure luck of the draw (after you meet a few criteria, including posting a link to the contest on your blog), but daydreaming about Paris made me want to get that story out of my system. So if you're still reading, thank you for indulging me.

  Here's a link to the contest details: http://ohhappyday.com/2011/06/goes-to-paris.


No comments: