Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I'm a Little Lamb Who's Lost in a Wood...

Last Sunday, Spencer went over to his friend Charlie's house to play for a few hours. Dave and I used that time to go Christmas shopping. I think that was the first time we've ever been able to go shopping for Spencer together - it was fun!

After we picked up Spencer, he and I decided to go for a quick hike in the Greenbelt before dinner. We set out from a spot we don't typically enter. We made a lot of twists and turns and came upon this beautiful spot.
But when we started heading out, we quickly realized we didn't know the way back. It was already 5:00 and I knew it would get dark soon, so I called Dave. I didn't want to alarm him, but the fact of the matter was we were lost. Using a "find a friend" app on our phones, he tried to figure out where we were as he ran through the Greenbelt with a flashlight. I know he was so nervous.

After 20-30 minutes I started hearing voices in the distance. I decided to just aim for those voices and luckily we ended up behind a row of houses. There was a party going on at one of them, with people standing along a balcony. I trudged through some thick brush and yelled up to them. Someone told us how to get up to their backyard then they led us through their million dollar home, full of fancy people, with me covered in leaves! Dave picked us up out front a few minutes later.

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and won't venture out in the Greenbelt without knowing exactly where I am. I think I did a pretty good job of remaining calm and not alarming Spencer *too* much. He just kept saying in a slightly worried voice, "We're lost." I'm glad we didn't have to get rescued by a helicopter search party! It won't keep us from hiking - we'll just be smarter from now on!


No comments: