Saturday, October 5, 2013

Last Day of 4

Wow! Today is Spencer's last day as a 4-year-old. So hard to believe that we will have ourselves a FIVE-YEAR-OLD tomorrow. As I've said before, his birth feels simultaneously like yesterday and a zillion years ago - such an odd sensation.

We spent the morning at Blunn Preserve doing a Little Helping Hands volunteer project. We were tasked with spreading mulch along a big stretch of walking trail. I was proud of Spencer - he worked so hard for the full hour. He told us later that someone said, "You sure have worked hard today," and he replied, "When something's hard I stick with it." Glad to know that message it seeping in... He earned a t-shirt and a free Amy's Ice Creams coupon today for completing his third volunteer project.

After resting at the house for a little while, Spencer and Daddy went to a real golf course for a couple of hours. Big moment for the boys! I did a little birthday shopping and went to the new Trader Joe's for the first time (big moment for me!).


When they got home, we played some Uno before dinner (can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but Spencer is totally into Uno now and it's super fun!). Then Daddy headed out to do some final birthday shopping while Spencer and I did bath and bedtime. I need to find a pic of him wrapped in this monkey towel to compare. Look at those long legs - the towel barely covers his bum now!
 
I think I'll end this entry with a few things I want to remember that I appreciate and delight in about Spencer at 364 days old...
  • His fun sense of humor
  • His competitive streak (not always fun to witness, but he comes by it honestly!)
  • His kind heart and empathetic nature
  • His love of mushroom
  • His newly discovered reading ability (we pretty much have a full-on reader now) and love of books
  • His ability to have conversations - it's such a joy to talk with him!
  • His concentration when working on a LEGO project
  • His love of hearing stories - real stories about him, Daddy's or Mommy's life, or crazy made-up tales that Daddy tells after dinner
  • The enthusiastic way he collaborated with Daddy on an "iPad Success Plan" last week after we had an issue with unauthorized usage (with the babysitter)
  • His love of playing and listening to music
  • The deep, deep belly laugh that no one brings out in him quite like Daddy
  • They way he's always ready for an adventure 

Happy birthday (almost), my beautiful boy!

No comments: