Sunday, October 6, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday, Spencer!

Our sweet Spencer is officially a 5-year-old! Since his birthday party is next weekend, we decided to spend today on a family adventure. But first, there were gifts to open and chocolate croissants to eat!
Posing with his stash
First up, some LEGOs from Daddy
Books from Mommy...
His "main" gift was a new backpack for hiking - he's been asking for one
This video just kills me. Sure, he got a new backpack, LEGOs, clothing and books, but what was he the most excited about?


Trader Joe's has the most magical frozen chocolate croissants; you let them sit out and rise overnight, then bake them the next morning. Delicious!

Then we headed out to Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg. What a gorgeous day for a hike up a big slab of granite! In the interest of time and space, I'm going to do a separate post about Enchanted Rock tomorrow - lots of photos to go through.

We got home around 4:00, so Daddy and Spencer played with LEGOs for a little while and I frosted a cake I had baked last night. (Funny story: After I mixed up the ingredients, I discovered my oil was rancid. Rancid oil does not a tasty cake make. Had to run out at 9:30 for more supplies...) I decided to put some food coloring in the frosting to make it a little more special. Spencer requested blue with green polka dots. I frosted it, then he and Daddy "sprayed' on some polka dots. I think it turned out pretty - sorta looks like a globe.

Then we were off to eat dinner. Spencer chose Hao Hao for his birthday meal. The owner, who is incredibly sweet and remembers everyone that walks into her restaurant, gave the birthday boy a t-shirt because she thought it was no neat that he selected Hao Hao!

We lit five candles when we got home and sang to our sweet (and crazy?) boy. Then we took our traditional 6:28PM birthday photo.

 
 

Happy birthday, Spencer. We love you in the whole world!