Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Constructions, Contraptions and Reading

It feels like Spencer is growing and developing so much right now. Sometimes I look at my tall boy and wonder how did he become such a big kid all of a sudden? See what I mean:


Today I want to jot down a few things I want to remember...

First, the way he calls instructions "constructions." As in, "Mommy, where are the constructions for my helicopter?" We never correct him because it's just too darn cute.

Second, the way he loves to build "contraptions." He's like a junior Rube Goldberg, putting together ramps and boxes and blocks to roll cars and balls down. Daddy really gets into this activity!

Finally, he is starting to read. He spends an hour every day for quiet time, mostly looking at books. Just about every day he emerges with a new word he's figured out. He'll type it on his toy computer (from memory) and proudly show us. We've been reading chapter books lately for bedtime, especially the Magic Tree House series, and he will stop me so he can try to point to a word or phrase I just said. He also loves to rhyme words. He's just really interested in words and language in general right now and it's fun to witness.

No comments: